Friday, October 8, 2010

Witches Brew

Had a request for my recipe of this tasty drink and great on Halloween to simmer all day long so thought while I had it all typed out I would post it here for others:




1 gallon pure apple cider
1 apple (cut into quarters)
2 orange (I slice them w/ peel)
3-4 cinamon sticks
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown sugar (depends sometimes I don't put this try it both ways and see how you best like it)
You can simmer it on the stovetop or crockpot. I mix it all together in my slow cooker and let it just simmer for about 4-5 hours or yeah like all day because it smells oh so good. The upside with the slow cooker is it STAYS warm without the hassle of microwaving it later if you go the stovetop method. (think how cold you are after you finish trick or treating!)
A couple variations I sometimes do is put allspice and tie it up in some cheesecloth but pull it out after about 4 hrs or so.  Also toss in some cranberries.  Sometimes I pour a mixture of cranberry juice and cider about a 50/50 mixture... play with it find what makes your taste buds sing.

Enjoy:)


No comments: