Friday, November 14, 2008

Slow Cooker Perfect Rice

I hate the cost of convenient quick rice not to mention it simply doesn't taste right, but love its convenience. So awhile back I went on a search for ways to over come this. I figure out the meals that might have rice for the week and cook enough for those meals. I typically triple which for our family gives us 2 meals. It is much more cost effective and comes out rather great rather than under cooked or overcooked. AND no need to purchase a rice cooker..something that had passed my mind.

Servings: 4
Author Notes: You'll never again have to deal with anything other than perfect rice when you make it like this in your slow cooker.
Ingredients: 1 cup regular raw, white or brown rice
1 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon butter
Instructions:

Place all ingredients together in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

This Foolproof Rice recipe really does work, even with the small amount of water required. Covering the slow cooker and setting it on low effectively turns your slow cooker into a rice steamer. The rice will have the consistency of steamed rice and will not be the kind of "sticky Rice" that you would get from cooking it in a pot on the stove top.

2 comments:

Cheri Sicard said...

Just discovered your blog as you reprinted my rice recipe. I envy you RVing full time so much. I grew up in the circus and lived that way through my early 30s. Those were the happiest times of my life -- living on the road. I hope your kids realize what an incredible experience this is.

I can't wait till I can live on the road again

All the best,

Cheri

Renee said...

Well I am happy you found me:0) I left things linking back. I had you saved in my bookmarks and thought it was worth reposting. I saw this same one posted all over the place but none really gave much as to where its source if any came from.

That is so neat about the circus. When do you think you will go back on the road and what all did you do in the circus?

So far over all we are enjoying RV life. Wintering in MT should be interesting. I am not sure my oldest sees it yet the specialness of this lifestyle but the other two are in love with it...my middle daughter realized she misses soaking in a tub...lol the little things you start to miss I suppose. Overall thus far I wouldn't trade it. There is much freedom and I am sure once the RV is paid for this spring we will feel so much more able to breathe.