Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Coloring in the BOS

Coloring in the Book of Shadows...
"Are your kids Pagan too?"
How many of you have heard that question? Chances are, if you're "out" as a Pagan or Wiccan, at some point someone has asked you what path your kids are on. Despite the temptation to reply, "Well, we rotate weeks, so right now they're Pentacostal but starting on Thursday they'll be Hindu", I've found that the best thing to tell people is the truth. I'm letting my kids find their own way, but with definitely Pagan leanings. I share who I am and what I believe with them as part of my daily life. If one of my children decides later on that they'd like to be Christian or Buddhist or whatever, I'll certainly be baffled, but not necessarily upset about it. After all, I found my own path, why shouldn't my kids?
Admittedly, since Paganism is not a single religion but a whole bunch of different ones that fall under an umbrella heading, for a lot of parents it's hard to find Pagan-friendly stuff to do with kids. After all, we don't have Vacation Pagan School every summer. However, you might be surprised how easy it is to incorporate your belief system into your parenting -- because kids learn by watching their parents. If your child sees you living as a Pagan day in and out, that's what they'll come to know. If you're not sure where to begin your young one's education -see the next blog on things to do.
If you'd like to read more about raising kids in Pagan traditions, hoof it over to a library or bookstore and pick up a copy of any of these:

Kristin Madden's Pagan Parenting
Family Wicca by Ashleen O'Gaea
Circle Round by Starhawk, Diane Baker and Anne Hill

No comments: